January 6, 2010

Folkloric 2009 Best Of - Books


My list of favorites isn't books that were published in 2009, but rather books that I read in 2009 and enjoyed the most. I included The History of Love even though everyone and their cousin has already read it simply because it was just that good, and I also threw Tad Williams' really fun fantasty epic in to balance out the sad and serious nature of the rest of the books on the list.
Again, not ranked in any particular order:

Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell
The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker
Resistance by Owen Sheers
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney
The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett*
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams

*I love Ann Patchett, and have read almost all of her books. I don't think, however, that I have ever like or been satisfied by any of her books' endings. Some of them make me downright mad, like the ending of this book did. I think it's a testament of how good her writing is that her book can make my list regardless, and that she can suck me in again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment