August 10, 2009

Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity

I gasped at my computer screen when I stumbled upon these photos of an installation by Yayoi Kusama that was up at the Gagosian Gallery in New York this past spring. The work is titled Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity. A multitude of white lights were hung throughout a darkened room and reflected off four mirrored walls. A shallow pool of water in the center of the room further reflected the lights, and visitors to the gallery stepped out onto a small dock to experience the piece all around them. I so wish I could have seen this exhibit! I am not always a huge fan of installation art, but this one looks dazzling gorgeous. I love how you can see the darkened shapes of people from where they block the lights from view.

No comments:

Post a Comment