March 5, 2010

A Quest Fulfilled



I love breakfast. During the work week I make sure to always eat a reasonably healthy breakfast, but in the mad rush to catch my bus on time and the fact that I'm not always 100% awake when I'm making it, it's usually quick and nothing special. So on the weekends I like to make a nice, hot breakfast for the boy and I. For the longest time I've been disappointed with my pancake recipe--I've tried a bunch of different ones and nothing was quite right.
Thanks to Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe cookbook, my quest for the elusive perfect pancake recipe has finally been fulfilled. Not so sweet that they leave you with a sugar rush first thing in the morning, but not so dense and filling that you're weighted down for the rest of the day, I am in love. The mix is super simple and can be made in advance so there is less to do first thing in the morning when you're waking up and just want some warm food.

Basic Pancake Mix
(From Sunlight Cafe by the amazing Mollie Katzen)

+2 1/4 c. white flour
+3/4 c. soy protein powder
+3/4 unprocessed wheat bran
+3/4 tsp. salt (I used less)
+4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
+1/2 tsp. baking soda
+3 tbs. sugar (optional)

Combine all dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Store mix in a clean and dry airtight jar. This Pancake Mix recipe makes 3 batches of ~10 pancakes.

When it's breakfastime, crack two eggs into 1 1/3 c. buttermilk, then add 1 1/2 tbs. of melted butter and whisk to combine (add 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract if your soy protein isn't already vanilla flavored like mine is). Incorporate this wet mixture into 1 1/3 c. of the dry Pancake Mix and then cook them up (with lots of butter!) until they are golden on both sides.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment