February 26, 2010

Cartograph




I love maps. Road maps, maps of made-up lands, historical maps--any and all, I love them. Needless to say, I was pretty jazzed when I found out about the Off the Map exhibit currently at the Kirkland Arts Center Gallery (which includes a piece by Maya Lin!). Addressing the intersection between science and art, the exhibit looks to be full of pieces that aren't necessarily what most people would traditionally think of as maps exactly, but I love what they say of the show on their website:

"What is it that is so intriguing about maps? Their ability to reveal what is too large to see, or too abstract to perceive is a nearly universal source of wonderment. Even though cartography is typically thought of as an objective, scientific process, the ability to exclude or display information reveals the inherent subjectivity associated with map-making."

No comments:

Post a Comment